Sunday 30 November 2008

A chess study of mine

White to move and win
Yes, I am also very keen on chess problems, especially endgame studies. I have composed a few my self and one you see above. I submitted it for this years Corus Study Competition, but it did not take a price - would you believe it? Ok, this competition was one of the rare of its kind with VERY good prices in cool cash, so it attracted some of the very best composers from all over the world.
A good problem is, in my opinion, distinguished by a comparatively short solution with a surprising, nontrivial finish showing the essential idea. I believe mine lives up to that, but judge for your self.
Try to solve it, it is not that hard, when you all of a sudden get the right idea. And if you give up, you can ask your little helper, I mean your chessengine, for some help. Any way, I will give the solution later on.
For the diagram I have made good use of the service at www.chessup.net. You should try it!

No comments: